Are You GHS Ready?
Expert Safety Data Sheet & Chemical Label Authoring
If your company manufacturers, imports, stores or distributes hazardous chemicals in the United States, then OSHA's adoption of GHS resulted in new compliance obligations for your business. By June 1, 2015, OSHA expected every hazardous chemical in the U.S. to be reclassified using the newly adopted GHS health and physical hazard classification criteria.
By the same deadline, OSHA required every MSDS and shipped label for the reclassified chemicals to be updated to the new GHS-styled format. The new MSDS format consists of 16 sections in a strict order. OSHA and GHS refer to MSDSs authored in this new style as SDSs. The new GHS-aligned shipped label format requires use of six standardized elements that correspond with information found on the SDS.
Reclassifying chemicals and authoring in the new GHS style is both an art and a science. It is a task well suited for the certified authoring professionals at VelocityEHS. Unlike our approach for users of our online solutions, where we recommend and provide users with the tools they need to effectively manage compliance on their own via the cloud, with our MSDSonline Authoring Services, we recommend and provide a hands-on-approach.
What does GHS stand for?
The Global Harmonization System (GHS) is a worldwide standardized approach to hazard communication, which is supported by the United Nations and regulatory agencies around the globe, including OSHA and Health Canada. In short, GHS can be summarized into three main components:
- Standardized hazard definitions and symbols
- Standardized safety data sheet format and content
- Standardized hazard warnings and symbols on container labels
Thus, if you are a chemical manufacturer, you will likely need to re-author your MSDSs into the GHS format and ensure all labels meet the GHS requirements. VelocityEHS authoring professionals are prepared to help your organization author GHS-styled SDSs without putting unnecessary strain on your resources.
VelocityEHS Authoring Professionals Can Help
Our trained, certified professionals can author original SDSs, update existing MSDSs, translate new or existing MSDSs, and even review your existing inventory of safety data sheets to ensure all documents are in compliance with current regional regulations.
All safety data sheets go through a critical review and quality assurance process to ensure complete accuracy. We employ experienced regulatory chemical experts and utilize robust authoring technology so you’re assured that your safety data sheets comply with all local, national and international regulations, including GHS, OSHA, WHMIS, EU, and other global GHS and country-specific formats. Additionally, our team can author technical data sheets and safety documents for exempt products such as articles and non-hazardous products.
Our value is simple – with our solid investment in certified professionals, infrastructure and an unwavering focus on service, our authoring team provides you with both peace of mind and the opportunity to focus on your core business.
- Expert Authoring Professionals – Safety data sheets are created and reviewed by trained, certified experts in the EH&S industry. Your SDSs are completed quickly, but only after each goes through a stringent review process to ensure 100% accuracy and compliance.
- Improve Regulatory Compliance – In addition to authoring original safety data sheets, our experts can perform a critical review of your existing documents to ensure compliance with local, national and global requirements, including GHS, OSHA, WHMIS, EU, CLP and others.
- Focus on Your Core Business – Allow our experts to author, update, or translate new and existing SDSs/MSDSs, or perform a compliance review of your current documents, so you can focus your attention on other important day-to-day operations.
- Improve GHS Compliance – Our trained, certified authoring professionals are fully educated on GHS compliance and can help transition your global SDSs to the new format without straining your resources.