MSDSonline – a VelocityEHS solution – is focused on helping businesses of all sizes improve the management of chemical products and material safety data sheets, which today, are still largely underserved by paper-based SDS management systems and processes. We are also on the frontline of helping companies manage their transition to GHS – click here for our GHS / HCS Compliance Checklist.
A safety data sheet is a required document that contains information for the safe handling, use, storage and disposal of potentially hazardous chemicals. Global agencies like the UN, OSHA, EPA, EU and Health Canada, require that all potentially hazardous chemicals have information on file to ensure the safety of all personnel that are involved in manufacturing, distributing, transporting and using these materials in their day-to-day operations.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) estimates that there are 4.5 million facilities in the United States that handle chemical materials, which require material safety data sheets.
According to OSHA's CFR 1910.1200 (better known in EH&S circles as the Hazard Communication Standard or HCS), manufacturers and distributors are required to deliver a safety data sheet to each buyer of these materials. In turn, buyers, or employers, are required to make this information readily accessible to their employees who may come in contact with chemicals in the workplace.
Prior to the widespread use of the internet and corporate intranets, safety data sheet management consisted of libraries containing large three-ring binders. Management of these paper-based binders is costly, cumbersome, and often leads to noncompliance with HCS regulations. As a result, failure to comply with HCS is one of the most frequently cited OSHA violations annually, costing businesses millions in fines, penalties and litigation expenses.
VelocityEHS has has responded by developing revolutionary, on-demand (cloud-computing), EH&S management solutions.
Through our MSDSonline chemical management brand, we pioneered online safety data sheet access, management and employee right-to-know compliance solutions more than 15 years ago. We provide customers with access to our industry's leading online database of safety data sheets, which today, contains millions of indexed, manufacturer-original documents. Unlike competitors, the MSDSonline database is dynamic. We add more than 20,000 new and/or updated safety data sheets each week.
Our MSDS management solutions combine access to our database with easy-to-use inventory management and data sheet deployment tools. This enables more cost-effective compliance with OSHA's HCS, Health Canada's Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) requirements, the European Commission's REACH regulation, as well as the more recently adopted elements of the United Nations' Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS). Our online solutions create a simplified SDS management system so your company can focus on safety.
Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) professionals are continuously asked to do more with fewer resources. The demands for staying compliant are getting more difficult no matter what industry you're in or how big your organization is. Managing your chemical inventory and training your employees on how to evaluate and avoid risks from hazards is critical to your business.
A minor accident or chemical exposure can have serious implications in terms of lost productivity, skyrocketing insurance costs and workers' compensation claims, not to mention possible litigation costs and fines for non-compliance.
At VelocityEHS, our goal, through our MSDSonline solutions, is to help businesses of all sizes improve workplace safety, and ultimately, simplify hazard communication compliance.
Whether that's providing simple access to a safety data sheet, developing products and services to help build and maintain a compliant SDS inventory (see our GM Account), delivering a fully compliant electronic employee Right-to-Know solution (see our HQ Account), or providing a robust environmental management solution (see our HQ RegXR Account) — we understand the importance of protecting your most valuable assets — your employees.
Here are 10 Reasons to Choose our solution:
- Around-the-Clock Access – All safety data sheet and management tools are available 24/7/365 via the Web, giving you the freedom to work whenever and wherever necessary.
- Millions of Documents at your Fingertips – Our industry-leading database of indexed and searchable material safety data sheets enable you to gap-fill your inventory to ensure compliance.
- Regulatory Compliant – We offer multiple library back-up options to ensure your electronic management system meets OSHA, WHMIS and other regulatory requirements for hazard communication.
- Ease-of-Use and Mobile-Enabled – All of our online tools are based in a familiar Web environment so you can get started immediately without a lot of extra training, and they're mobile-enabled. By bringing together convenience and safety, you can ensure you and your employees always have access to critical information no matter where you are – even when working offline, thanks to our new eBinder app.
- Relevant Safety Solutions – We design our products with continuous input from safety professionals so you get practical tools that you can rely on day-in and day-out.
- Products for Every Budget – Whether it's a small department, a single facility or a large multi-site organization, we have a solution to meet your unique budget requirements.
- Quick Return on Investment – 75% more cost-effective than traditional paper-based systems, our solutions enable you to reduce time-consuming administrative costs.
- Low-Cost of Ownership – There's no software to install or maintain locally; and you get immediate access to new features, product updates and new version releases.
- Best-of-Breed Services – Our team of compliance experts is available to help you build, maintain and verify that your documentation is up-to-date and compliant.
- Excellent Customer Care – Our dedicated support team takes pride in your satisfaction. You get ongoing access to implementation assistance, product training, general and technical support, and more!