At MSDSonline, we’re committed to keeping our customers informed about EHS news from around the country and around the world.
Here are some highlights from this week that you may have missed:
- The New York Times ran an expose of chemical hazards faced by nail salon workers, and efforts by the industry to fight regulation.
- A group of 21 major apparel and footwear brands have released a plan for improving the industry’s environmental performance.
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology — a federal technology agency that works with industry to apply technology, measurements, and standards — experienced an emergency crew response incident when an acid-based polish agent became an explosion hazard.
- Oregon OSHA has cited an aircraft cleaning service contractor at the Portland International Airport for five serious health and safety violations.
- Construction workers involved in the current restoration of the Capitol Dome in Washington D.C. observed a safety stand down as part of OSHA’s second annual National Safety Stand-Down.
- UN conventions on hazardous chemicals and waste heard a strong call to action from executive director Rolph Payet, who urged more be done to protect people from chemical hazards.